44.1 And other things I saw concerning lightning, how some of the stars rise and become lightning but cannot lose their form.
The Second Parable. (Pages 64-73)
Here we are introduced to some new characters, there is the Chosen One, or Messiah, and The Head of Days or ‘ancient of days’ (see also 71.10) who appears in Daniel 7:9-10 and seems to represent God.
It is a bit confusing that Enoch sees characters from the future. It may be that the Watchers presented this to Enoch as a theatrical drama so that he could see it and ask questions at the same time. It was no doubt a deliberate policy not to give actual names so that different readers in different eras would assume they new the names. When I read this, I think it obviously refers to Jesus, but many ages had a ‘chosen one’.
The number of righteousness (47.4), that is reached, may refer to the twelve times twelve thousand predicted to survive in the biblical Book of Revelations.
Sheol is mentioned at 51.1, it is the name for hell used in early times and it is also mentioned in the book of Genesis and book of Job, it means ‘the grave’ – but more than just a hole in the ground.
The mountains leap like rams at 51.4, this phrase also occurs in the bible (Psalms 114.4 & 6).
There is a rare mentioning of place names at 56.5 – Parthia and Medes – these were ancient kingdoms in the Iran\Iraq area. This is the area where Enoch probably lived but it is difficult to know whether he originally used these names in his book, or whether later translators substituted in their own names for the areas that they thought were being referred to.
- And this is The Second Parable.
About those who deny the Name of the Dwelling of the Holy Ones and of the Lord of Spirits.
- They will not ascend into Heaven nor will they come upon the earth; such will be the lot of the sinners who deny the Name of the Lord of Spirits who will thus be kept for the Day of Affliction and Distress.
- “On that day the Chosen One will sit on the Throne of Glory and will choose their works. And their resting places will be without number and their spirits within them will grow strong when they see My Chosen One and those who appeal to My Holy and Glorious Name.
- And on that day I will cause My Chosen One to dwell among them and I will transform Heaven and make it an Eternal Blessing and Light.
- And I will transform the dry ground and make it a blessing, and I will cause My Chosen Ones to dwell upon it; but those who commit sin and evil will not tread upon it.
- For I have seen, and have satisfied with peace, My Righteous Ones, and have placed them in front of Me; but for the sinners My Judgement draws near so that I may destroy them from the face of the earth.”
- And this is The Second Parable.
- And there I saw one who had a ‘Head of Days’ and his head was white like wool. And with him there was another whose face had the appearance of a man and his face was full of grace like one of the Holy Angels.
- And I asked one of the Holy Angels, who went with me and showed me all the secrets, about that Son of Man, who he was, and from where he was, and why he went with the Head of Days.
- And he answered me, and said to me:”This is the Son of Man who has righteousness and with whom righteousness dwells. He will reveal all the treasures of that which is secret, for the Lord of Spirits has chosen him, and through uprightness his lot has surpassed all others, in front of the Lord of Spirits, forever.
- And this Son of Man, who you have seen, will rouse the kings and the powerful from their resting places, and the strong from their thrones, and will loose the reins of the strong, and will break the teeth of the sinners.
- And he will cast down the kings from their thrones, and from their kingdoms, for they do not exalt him, and do not praise him, and do not humbly acknowledge from where their kingdom was given to them.
- And he will cast down the faces of the strong and shame will fill them, and darkness will be their dwelling, and worms will be their resting place. And they will have no hope of rising from their resting-places, for they do not exalt the name of the Lord of Spirits.
- And these are they who judge the Stars of Heaven, and raise their hands against the Most High, and trample upon the dry ground, and dwell upon it. And all their deeds show iniquity, and their power rests on their riches, and their faith is in their gods that they have made with their hands, and they deny the name of the Lord of Spirits.
- And they will be driven from the houses of his congregation, and of the faithful, who depend on the Name of the Lord of Spirits.
- And in those days, the prayer of the righteous, and the blood of the righteous will have ascended from the Earth in front of the Lord of Spirits.
- In these days the Holy Ones who live in Heaven above will unite with one voice, and supplicate, and pray, and praise, and give thanks, and bless, in the name of the Lord of Spirits. Because of the blood of the righteous that has been poured out. And because of the prayer of the righteous, so that it may not cease in front of the Lord of Spirits, so that justice might be done to them, and that their patience may not have to last forever.”
- And in those days, I saw the Head of Days sit down on the Throne of his Glory and the Books of the Living were opened in front of him and all His Host, which dwell in the Heavens above, and his Council were standing in front of Him.
- And the hearts of the Holy Ones were full of joy that the number of righteousness had been reached, and the prayer of the righteous had been heard, and the blood of the righteous had not been required in front of the Lord of Spirits.
- And in that place I saw an inexhaustible spring of righteousness and many springs of wisdom surrounded it, and all the thirsty drank from them and were filled with wisdom, and their dwelling was with the Righteous and the Holy and the Chosen.
- And at that hour that Son of Man was named, in the presence of the Lord of Spirits, and his name brought to the Head of Days.
- Even before the Sun and the constellations were created, before the Stars of Heaven were made, his name was named in front of the Lord of Spirits.
- He will be a staff to the righteous and the Holy, so that they may lean on him and not fall, and he will be the Light of the Nations, and he will be the hope of those who grieve in their hearts.
- All those who dwell upon the dry ground will fall down and worship in front of him, and they will bless, and praise, and celebrate with psalms, the name of the Lord of Spirits.
- And because of this he was chosen, and hidden in front of Him, before the World was created, and forever.
- But the wisdom of the Lord of Spirits has revealed him to the Holy and the righteous, for he has kept safe the lot of the righteous, for they have hated and rejected this world of iniquity. And all its works and its ways they have hated in the name of the Lord of Spirits. For in His name they are saved and he is the one who will require their lives.
- And in those days the kings of the Earth, and the strong who possess the dry ground, will have downcast faces because of the works of their hands, for on the day of their distress and trouble they will not savethemselves.
- And I will give them into the hands of my chosen ones; like straw in the fire, and like lead in water, so they will burn in front of the righteous, and sink in front of the Holy, and no trace will be found of them.
- And on the day of their trouble there will be rest on the earth and they will fall down in front of him and will not rise. And there will be no one who will take them with his hands and raise them for they denied the Lord of Spirits and his Messiah. May the name of the Lord of Spirits be blessed!
- For wisdom has been poured out like water and glory will not fail in front of Him forever and ever.
- For He is powerful in all the secrets of righteousness and iniquity will pass away like a shadow, and will have no existence; for the Chosen One stands in front of the Lord of Spirits and His Glory is for ever and ever, and His Power for all generations.
- And in Him dwell the spirit of wisdom, and the spirit that gives understanding, and the spirit of knowledge and of power, and the spirit of those who sleep in righteousness.
- And he will judge the things that are secret, and no one will be able to say an idle word in front of him, for he has been chosen in front of the Lord of Spirits, in accordance with His wish.
- And in those days a change will occur for the Holy and the chosen; the Light of Days will rest upon them, and glory and honour will return to the Holy.
- And on the day of trouble, calamity will be heaped up over the sinners, but the righteous will conquer in the Name of the Lord of Spirits and He will show this to others so that they might repent and abandon the works of their hands.
- And they will have no honour in front of the Lord of Spirits, but in HisName they will be saved and the Lord of Spirits will have mercy on them, for his mercy is great.
- And He is righteous in His judgment, and in front of His Glory iniquity will not be able to stand against His Judgment; he who does not repent will be destroyed.
- And from then on I will not have mercy on them,” says the Lord of Spirits.
- And in those days the Earth will return that which has been entrusted to it, and Sheol will return that which has been entrusted to it and that which it has received. And destruction will return what it owes.
- And He will choose the Righteous and the Holy from among them; for the day has come near when they must be saved.
- And in those days, the Chosen One will sit on his throne, and all the Secrets of Wisdom will flow out from the council of his mouth, for the Lord of Spirits has appointed him and glorified him.
- And in those days the mountains will leap like rams, and the hills will skip like lambs satisfied with milk, and all will become Angels in Heaven.
- Their faces will shine with joy, for in those days the Chosen One will have risen and the earth will rejoice. And the righteous will dwell upon it and the chosen will walk upon it.
- And after those days, in that place where I had seen all the visions of that which is secret, for I had been carried off by a whirlwind, and they had brought me to the west.
- There my eyes saw the secrets of Heaven; everything that will occur on Earth: a mountain of iron, and a mountain of copper, and a mountain of silver, and a mountain of gold, and a mountain of soft metal, and a mountain of lead.
- And I asked the Angel who went with me, saying: “What are these things which I have seen in secret?”
- And he said to me: “All these things which you have seen serve the authority of His Messiah, so that he may be strong and powerful on the Earth.”
- And that Angel of Peace answered me, saying: “Wait a little and you will see, and everything which is secret, which the Lord of Spirits has established, will be revealed to you.
- And these mountains, that you have seen; the mountain of iron, and the mountain of copper, and the mountain of silver, and the mountain of gold, and the mountain of soft metal, and the mountain of lead. All these in front of the Chosen One will be like wax before fire, and like the water that comes down from above onto these mountains they will be weak under his feet.
- And it will come to pass in those days, that neither by gold, nor by silver, will men save themselves; they will be unable to save themselves, or to flee.
- And there will be neither iron for war nor material for a breastplate; bronze will be no use, and tin will be of no use and will count for nothing, and lead will not be wanted.
- All these will be wiped out and destroyed from the face of the earth when the Chosen One appears in front of the Lord of Spirits.”
- And there my eyes saw a deep valley, and its mouth was open; and all those who dwell upon dry ground and the sea and the islands will bring gifts and presents and offerings to him, but that deep valley will not become full.
- And their hands commit evil, and everything at which the righteous toil the sinners evilly devour; and so the sinners will be destroyed from in front of the Lord of Spirits, and will be banished from the face of His Earth, unceasingly for ever and ever.
- For I saw the Angels of Punishment going and preparing all theinstruments of Satan.
- And I asked the Angel of Peace, who went with me, and I said to him: “These instruments – for whom are they preparing them?”
- And he said to me: “They are preparing these for the kings and the powerful of this Earth, so that by means of them they may be destroyed.
- And after this the Righteous and Chosen One will cause the house of his congregation to appear; from then on, in the name of the Lord of Spirits, they will not be hindered.
- And in front of him these mountains will not be firm like the earth, and the hills will be like a spring of water; and the righteous will have rest from the ill-treatment of the sinners.”
- And I looked, and turned to another part of the Earth, and I saw there a deep valley with burning fire.
- And they brought the kings and powerful and threw them into that valley.
- And there my eyes saw how they made instruments for them – iron chains of immeasurable weight.
- And I asked the Angel of Peace, who went with me, saying: “These chain instruments – for whom are they being prepared?”
- And he said to me: “These are being prepared for the hosts of Azazel, so that they may take them, and throw them into the lowest part of hell; and they will cover their jaws with rough stones, as the Lord of Spirits commanded.
- And Michael and Gabriel, Raphael and Phanuel – these will take hold of them on that great day. And throw them, on that day, into the furnace of burning fire, so that the Lord of Spirits may take vengeance on them for their iniquity, in that they became servants of Satan, and led astray those who dwell upon the dry ground.
- And in those days, the punishment of the Lord of Spirits will go out,and all the storehouses of the waters which are above the sky and under the earth, will be opened.
- And all the waters will be joined with the waters that are above the sky. The water that is above the sky is male and the water that is under the Earth is female.
- And all those who dwell upon the dry ground, and those who dwell under the ends of Heaven, will be wiped out.
- And because of this they will acknowledge their iniquity which they have committed on the Earth and through this they will be destroyed.”
- And after this, the Head of Days repented, and said:”I have destroyed to no purpose all those who dwell upon the dry ground.”
- And he swore by His Great Name: “From now on I will not act like this towards all those who dwell upon the dry ground. And I will put a sign in Heaven, and it will be a pledge of faith between me and them forever, so long as Heaven is above the Earth.
- And this will be in accordance with my command. When I want to take hold of them with the hands of the Angels, on the day of distress and pain, in the face of my anger and my wrath, my wrath and anger will remain upon them” says the Lord, The Lord of Spirits.
- You powerful kings who dwell upon the dry ground will be obliged to watch my Chosen One sit down on the throne of My Glory, and judge, in the Name of the Lord of Spirits, Azazel and all his associates and all his hosts.”
- And I saw there the hosts of the Angels of Punishment, as they went, and they were holding chains of iron and bronze.
- And I asked the Angel of Peace, who went with me, saying: “To whom are those who are holding the chains going?”
- And he said to me: “Each to his own chosen ones, and to their beloved ones, so that they may be thrown into the chasm, in the depths ofthe valley.”
- And then, that valley will be filled with their chosen and beloved ones, and the days of their life will be at an end, and the days of their leading astray will no longer be counted.
- And in those days, the Angels will gather together, and will throw themselves towards the east, upon the Parthians and Medes. They will stir up the kings so that a disturbing spirit will come upon them, and they will drive them from their thrones; and they will come out like lions from their lairs, and like hungry wolves in the middle of their flocks.
- And they will go up and trample on the Land of My Chosen Ones, and the land of my chosen ones will become before them a tramping-ground and a beaten track.
- But the City of My Righteous Ones will be a hindrance to their horses, and they will stir up slaughter amongst themselves, and their own right hand will be strong against them. And a man will not admit to knowing his neighbour, or his brother, nor a son his father, or his mother, until, through their death, there are corpses enough; and their punishment – it will not be in vain.
- And in those days Sheol will open its mouth and they will sink into it and their destruction; Sheol will swallow up the sinners in front of the faces of the chosen.”
- And it came to pass, after this, that I saw another host of chariots with men riding on them, and they came upon the wind from the east and from the west, to the south.
- And the sound of the noise of their chariots was heard. And when this occurred the Holy Ones observed it from Heaven and the Pillars of the Earth were shaken from their foundations. And the sound was heard from the ends of the Earth to the ends of Heaven throughout one day.
- And all will fall down and worship the Lord of Spirits. And this is the
end of the second parable.