that I may lack nothing.' These were the things he was thinking in his heart, but that very
night he died. Anyone here with two ears had better listen!"
- Jesus said, "A person was receiving guests. When he had prepared the dinner, he sent his slave to invite the guests.The slave went to the first and said to that one, 'My master invites you.' That one said, 'Some merchants owe me money; they are coming to me tonight. I have to go and give them instructions. Please excuse me from dinner.'The slave went to another and said to that one, 'My master has invited you.' That one said to the slave, 'I have bought a house, and I have been called away for a day. I shall have no time.'The slave went to another and said to that one, 'My master invites you.' That one said to the slave, 'My friend is to be married, and I am to arrange the banquet. I shall not be able to come. Please excuse me from dinner.'The slave went to another and said to that one, 'My master invites you.' That one said to the slave, 'I have bought an estate, and I am going to collect the rent. I shall not be able to come. Please excuse me.'The slave returned and said to his master, 'Those whom you invited to dinner have asked to be excused.' The master said to his slave, 'Go out on the streets and bring back whomever you find to have dinner.'
Buyers and merchants [will] not enter the places of my Father."
- He said, "A [...] person owned a vineyard and rented it to some farmers, so they could work it and he could collect its crop from them. He sent his slave so the farmers would give him the vineyard's crop. They grabbed him, beat him, and almost killed him, and the slave returned and told his master. His master said, 'Perhaps he didn't know them.' He sent another slave, and the farmers beat that one as well. Then the master sent his son and said, 'Perhaps they'll show my son some respect.' Because the farmers knew that he was the heir to the vineyard, they grabbed him and killed him. Anyone here with two ears had better listen!"
- Jesus said, "Show me the stone that the builders rejected: that is the keystone."
- Jesus said, "Those who know all, but are lacking in themselves, are utterly lacking."
- Jesus said, "Congratulations to you when you are hated and persecuted; and no place will be found, wherever you have been persecuted."
- Jesus said, "Congratulations to those who have been persecuted in their hearts: they are the ones who have truly come to know the Father.Congratulations to those who go hungry, so the stomach of the one in want may be filled."
- Jesus said, "If you bring forth what is within you, what you have will save you. If you do not have that within you, what you do not have within you [will] kill you."
- Jesus said, "I will destroy [this] house, and no one will be able to build it [...]."
- A to him, "Tell my brothers to divide my father's possessions with me." He said to the person, "Mister, who made me a divider?"He turned to his disciples and said to them, "I'm not a divider, am I?"
- Jesus said, "The crop is huge but the workers are few, so beg the harvest boss to dispatch workers to the fields."
- He said, "Lord, there are many around the drinking trough, but there is nothing in the well."
- Jesus said, "There are many standing at the door, but those who are alone will enter the bridal suite."
- Jesus said, "The Father's kingdom is like a merchant who had a supply of merchandise and found a pearl. That merchant was prudent; he sold the merchandise and bought the single pearl for himself.So also with you, seek his treasure that is unfailing, that is enduring, where no moth comes to eat and no worm destroys."
- Jesus said, "I am the light that is over all things. I am all: from me all came forth, and to me all attained.Split a piece of wood; I am there.Lift up the stone, and you will find me there."
- Jesus said, "Why have you come out to the countryside? To see a reed shaken by the wind? And to see a person dressed in soft clothes, [like your] rulers and your powerful ones? They are dressed in soft clothes, and they cannot understand truth."
- A woman in the crowd said to him, "Lucky are the womb that bore you and the breasts that fed you."He said to [her], "Lucky are those who have heard the word of the Father and have truly kept it. For there will be days when you will say, 'Lucky are the womb that has not conceived and the breasts that have not given milk.'"
- Jesus said, "Whoever has come to know the world has discovered the body, and whoever has discovered the body, of that one the world is not worthy."
- Jesus said, "Let one who has become wealthy reign, and let one who has power renounce <it>."
- Jesus said, "Whoever is near me is near the fire, and whoever is far from me is far from the (Father's) kingdom."
- Jesus said, "Images are visible to people, but the light within them is hidden in the image of the Father's light. He will be disclosed, but his image is hidden by his light."
- Jesus said, "When you see your likeness, you are happy. But when you see your images that came into being before you and that neither die nor become visible, how much you will have to bear!"
- Jesus said, "Adam came from great power and great wealth, but he was not worthy of you. For had he been worthy, [he would] not [have tasted] death."
- Jesus said, "[Foxes have] their dens and birds have their nests, but human beings have no place to lay down and rest."
- Jesus said, "How miserable is the body that depends on a body, and how miserable is the soul that depends on these two."
- Jesus said, "The messengers and the prophets will come to you and give you what belongs to you. You, in turn, give them what you have, and say to yourselves, 'When will they come and take what belongs to them?'"
- Jesus said, "Why do you wash the outside of the cup? Don't you understand that the one who made the inside is also the one who made the outside?"
- Jesus said, "Come to me, for my yoke is comfortable and my lordship is gentle, and you will find rest for yourselves."
- They said to him, "Tell us who you are so that we may believe in you."He said to them, "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment."
- Jesus said, "Seek and you will find.In the past, however, I did not tell you the things about which you asked me then. Now I am willing to tell them, but you are not seeking them."
- "Don't give what is holy to dogs, for they might throw them upon the manure pile. Don't throw pearls [to] pigs, or they might ... it [...]."
- Jesus [said], "One who seeks will find, and for [one who knocks] it will be opened."
- [Jesus said], "If you have money, don't lend it at interest. Rather, give [it] to someone from whom you won't get it back."
- Jesus [said], "The Father's kingdom is like [a] woman. She took a little leaven, [hid] it in dough, and made it into large loaves of bread. Anyone here with two ears had better listen!"
- Jesus said, "The [Father's] kingdom is like a woman who was carrying a [jar] full of meal. While she was walking along [a] distant road, the handle of the jar broke and the meal spilled behind her [along] the road. She didn't know it; she hadn't noticed a problem. When she reached her house, she put the jar down and discovered that it was empty."
- Jesus said, "The Father's kingdom is like a person who wanted to kill someone powerful. While still at home he drew his sword and thrust it into the wall to find out whether his hand would go in. Then he killed the powerful one."
- The disciples said to him, "Your brothers and your mother are standing outside." He said to them, "Those here who do what my Father wants are my brothers and mymother. They are the ones who will enter my Father's kingdom."
- They showed Jesus a gold coin and said to him, "The Roman emperor's people demand taxes from us."He said to them, "Give the emperor what belongs to the emperor, give God what belongs to God, and give me what is mine."
- "Whoever does not hate [father] and mother as I do cannot be my [disciple], and whoever does [not] love [father and] mother as I do cannot be my [disciple]. For my mother [...], but my true [mother] gave me life."
- Jesus said, "Damn the Pharisees! They are like a dog sleeping in the cattle manger: the dog neither eats nor [lets] the cattle eat."
- Jesus said, "Congratulations to those who know where the rebels are going to attack. [They] can get going, collect their imperial resources, and be prepared before the rebels arrive."
- They said to Jesus, "Come, let us pray today, and let us fast."Jesus said, "What sin have I committed, or how have I been undone? Rather, when the groom leaves the bridal suite, then let people fast and pray."
- Jesus said, "Whoever knows the father and the mother will be called the child of a whore."
- Jesus said, "When you make the two into one, you will become children of Adam, and when you say, 'Mountain, move from here!' it will move."
- Jesus said, "The (Father's) kingdom is like a shepherd who had a hundred sheep. One of them, the largest, went astray. He left the ninety-nine and looked for the one until he found it. After he had toiled, he said to the sheep, 'I love you more than the ninety- nine.'"
- Jesus said, "Whoever drinks from my mouth will become like me; I myself shall become that person, and the hidden things will be revealed to him."
- Jesus said, "The (Father's) kingdom is like a person who had a treasure hidden in his field but did not know it. And [when] he died he left it to his [son]. The son [did] not know about it either. He took over the field and sold it. The buyer went plowing, [discovered] the treasure, and began to lend money at interest to whomever he wished."
- Jesus said, "Let one who has found the world, and has become wealthy, renounce the world."
- Jesus said, "The heavens and the earth will roll up in your presence, and whoever is living from the living one will not see death."Does not Jesus say, "Those who have found themselves, of them the world is not worthy"?
- Jesus said, "Damn the flesh that depends on the soul. Damn the soul that depends on the flesh."
- His disciples said to him, "When will the kingdom come?""It will not come by watching for it. It will not be said, 'Look, here!' or 'Look, there!' Rather, the Father's kingdom is spread out upon the earth, and people don't see it."
[Saying probably added to the original collection at a later date:]
- Simon Peter said to them, "Make Mary leave us, for females don't deserve life."
Jesus said, "Look, I will guide her to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every female who makes herself male will enter the kingdom of Heaven."
Selection from Robert J. Miller, ed., The Complete Gospels: Annotated Scholars Version. (Polebridge Press, 1992, 1994).
THE GNOSTIC SOCIETY LIBRARY
The Nag Hammadi Library
The Gospel of Thomas
Translated by Thomas O. Lambdin
(Visit the Gospel of Thomas Collection for additional information)
These are the secret sayings which the living Jesus spoke and which Didymos Judas Thomas wrote down.
- And he said, "Whoever finds the interpretation of these sayings will not experience death."
- Jesus said, "Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When he finds, he will become troubled. When he becomes troubled, he will be astonished, and he will rule over the All."
- Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."
- Jesus said, "The man old in days will not hesitate to ask a small child seven days old about the place of life, and he will live. For many who are first will become last, and they will become one and the same."
- Jesus said, "Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you . For there is nothing hidden which will not become manifest."
- His disciples questioned him and said to him, "Do you want us to fast? How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we observe?"Jesus said, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for all things are plain in thesight of heaven. For nothing hidden will not become manifest, and nothing covered will remain without being uncovered."
- Jesus said, "Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
- And he said, "The man is like a wise fisherman who cast his net into the sea and drew it up from the sea full of small fish. Among them the wise fisherman found a fine large fish. He threw all the small fish back into the sea and chose the large fish without difficulty. Whoever has ears to hear, let him hear."
- Jesus said, "Now the sower went out, took a handful (of seeds), and scattered them. Some fell on the road; the birds came and gathered them up. Others fell on the rock, did not take root in the soil, and did not produce ears. And others fell on thorns; they choked the seed(s) and worms ate them. And others fell on the good soil and it produced good fruit: it bore sixty per measure and a hundred and twenty per measure."
- Jesus said, "I have cast fire upon the world, and see, I am guarding it until it blazes."
- Jesus said, "This heaven will pass away, and the one above it will pass away. The dead are not alive, and the living will not die. In the days when you consumed what is dead, you made it what is alive. When you come to dwell in the light, what will you do? On the day when you were one you became two. But when you become two, what will you do?"
- The disciples said to Jesus, "We know that you will depart from us. Who is to be our leader?"Jesus said to them, "Wherever you are, you are to go to James the righteous, for whose sake heaven and earth came into being."
- Jesus said to his disciples, "Compare me to someone and tell me whom I am like." Simon Peter said to him, "You are like a righteous angel."Matthew said to him, "You are like a wise philosopher."Thomas said to him, "Master, my mouth is wholly incapable of saying whom you are like."Jesus said, "I am not your master. Because you have drunk, you have become intoxicated from the bubbling spring which I have measured out."And he took him and withdrew and told him three things. When Thomas returned to his companions, they asked him, "What did Jesus say to you?"Thomas said to them, "If I tell you one of the things which he told me, you will pick up stones and throw them at me; a fire will come out of the stones and burn you up."
- Jesus said to them, "If you fast, you will give rise to sin for yourselves; and if you pray, you will be condemned; and if you give alms, you will do harm to your spirits. When you go into any land and walk about in the districts, if they receive you, eat what they will set before you, and heal the sick among them. For what goes into your mouth will not defile you, but that which issues from your mouth - it is that which will defile you."
- Jesus said, "When you see one who was not born of woman, prostrate yourselves on your faces and worship him. That one is your father."
- Jesus said, "Men think, perhaps, that it is peace which I have come to cast upon the world. They do not know that it is dissension which I have come to cast upon the earth: fire, sword, and war. For there will be five in a house: three will be against two, and two against three, the father against the son, and the son against the father. And they will stand solitary."
- Jesus said, "I shall give you what no eye has seen and what no ear has heard and what no hand has touched and what has never occurred to the human mind."
- The disciples said to Jesus, "Tell us how our end will be."Jesus said, "Have you discovered, then, the beginning, that you look for the end? For where the beginning is, there will the end be. Blessed is he who will take his place in the beginning; he will know the end and will not experience death."
- Jesus said, "Blessed is he who came into being before he came into being. If you become my disciples and listen to my words, these stones will minister to you. For there are five trees for you in Paradise which remain undisturbed summer and winter and whose leaves do not fall. Whoever becomes acquainted with them will not experience death."
- The disciples said to Jesus, "Tell us what the kingdom of heaven is like."He said to them, "It is like a mustard seed. It is the smallest of all seeds. But when it falls on tilled soil, it produces a great plant and becomes a shelter for birds of the sky."
- Mary said to Jesus, "Whom are your disciples like?"He said, "They are like children who have settled in a field which is not theirs. When the owners of the field come, they will say, 'Let us have back our field.' They (will) undress in their presence in order to let them have back their field and to give it back to them. Therefore I say, if the owner of a house knows that the thief is coming, he will begin his vigil before he comes and will not let him dig through into his house of his domain to carry away his goods. You, then, be on your guard against the world. Arm yourselves with great strength lest the robbers find a way to come to you, for the difficulty which you expect will (surely) materialize. Let there be among you a man of understanding. When the grain ripened, he came quickly with his sickle in his hand and reaped it. Whoever has ears to hear, let him hear."
- Jesus saw infants being suckled. He said to his disciples, "These infants being suckled are like those who enter the kingdom."They said to him, "Shall we then, as children, enter the kingdom?"Jesus said to them, "When you make the two one, and when you make the inside like theoutside and the outside like the inside, and the above like the below, and when you make the male and the female one and the same, so that the male not be male nor the female female; and when you fashion eyes in the place of an eye, and a hand in place of a hand, and a foot in place of a foot, and a likeness in place of a likeness; then will you enter the kingdom."
- Jesus said, "I shall choose you, one out of a thousand, and two out of ten thousand, and they shall stand as a single one."
- His disciples said to him, "Show us the place where you are, since it is necessary for us to seek it."He said to them, "Whoever has ears, let him hear. There is light within a man of light,and he lights up the whole world. If he does not shine, he is darkness."
- Jesus said, "Love your brother like your soul, guard him like the pupil of your eye."
- Jesus said, "You see the mote in your brother's eye, but you do not see the beam in your own eye. When you cast the beam out of your own eye, then you will see clearly to cast the mote from your brother's eye."
- <Jesus said,> "If you do not fast as regards the world, you will not find the kingdom. If you do not observe the Sabbath as a Sabbath, you will not see the father."
- Jesus said, "I took my place in the midst of the world, and I appeared to them in flesh. I found all of them intoxicated; I found none of them thirsty. And my soul became afflicted for the sons of men, because they are blind in their hearts and do not have sight; for empty they came into the world, and empty too they seek to leave the world. But for the moment they are intoxicated. When they shake off their wine, then they will repent."
- Jesus said, "If the flesh came into being because of spirit, it is a wonder. But if spirit came into being because of the body, it is a wonder of wonders. Indeed, I am amazed at how this great wealth has made its home in this poverty."
- Jesus said, "Where there are three gods, they are gods. Where there are two or one, I am with him."
- Jesus said, "No prophet is accepted in his own village; no physician heals those who know him."
- Jesus said, "A city being built on a high mountain and fortified cannot fall, nor can it be hidden."
- Jesus said, "Preach from your housetops that which you will hear in your ear. For no one lights a lamp and puts it under a bushel, nor does he put it in a hidden place, but rather he sets it on a lampstand so that everyone who enters and leaves will see its light."
- Jesus said, "If a blind man leads a blind man, they will both fall into a pit."
- Jesus said, "It is not possible for anyone to enter the house of a strong man and take it by force unless he binds his hands; then he will (be able to) ransack his house."
- Jesus said, "Do not be concerned from morning until evening and from evening until morning about what you will wear."
- His disciples said, "When will you become revealed to us and when shall we see you?"Jesus said, "When you disrobe without being ashamed and take up your garments andplace them under your feet like little children and tread on them, then will you see the son of the living one, and you will not be afraid"
- Jesus said, "Many times have you desired to hear these words which I am saying to you, and you have no one else to hear them from. There will be days when you will look for me and will not find me."
- Jesus said, "The pharisees and the scribes have taken the keys of knowledge (gnosis) and hidden them. They themselves have not entered, nor have they allowed to enter those who wish to. You, however, be as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves."
- Jesus said, "A grapevine has been planted outside of the father, but being unsound, it will be pulled up by its roots and destroyed."
- Jesus said, "Whoever has something in his hand will receive more, and whoever has nothing will be deprived of even the little he has."
- Jesus said, "Become passers-by."
- His disciples said to him, "Who are you, that you should say these things to us?"<Jesus said to them,> "You do not realize who I am from what I say to you, but you have become like the Jews, for they (either) love the tree and hate its fruit (or) love the fruit and hate the tree."
- Jesus said, "Whoever blasphemes against the father will be forgiven, and whoever blasphemes against the son will be forgiven, but whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit will not be forgiven either on earth or in heaven."
- Jesus said, "Grapes are not harvested from thorns, nor are figs gathered from thistles, for they do not produce fruit. A good man brings forth good from his storehouse; an evil man brings forth evil things from his evil storehouse, which is in his heart, and says evil things. For out of the abundance of the heart he brings forth evil things."
- Jesus said, "Among those born of women, from Adam until John the Baptist, there is no one so superior to John the Baptist that his eyes should not be lowered (before him). Yet I have said, whichever one of you comes to be a child will be acquainted with the kingdom and will become superior to John."
- Jesus said, "It is impossible for a man to mount two horses or to stretch two bows. And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters; otherwise, he will honor the oneand treat the other contemptuously. No man drinks old wine and immediately desires to drink new wine. And new wine is not put into old wineskins, lest they burst; nor is old wine put into a new wineskin, lest it spoil it. An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because a tear would result."
- Jesus said, "If two make peace with each other in this one house, they will say to the mountain, 'Move Away,' and it will move away."
- Jesus said, "Blessed are the solitary and elect, for you will find the kingdom. For you are from it, and to it you will return."
- Jesus said, "If they say to you, 'Where did you come from?', say to them, 'We came from the light, the place where the light came into being on its own accord and established itself and became manifest through their image.' If they say to you, 'Is it you?', say, 'We are its children, we are the elect of the living father.' If they ask you, 'What is the sign of your father in you?', say to them, 'It is movement and repose.'"
- His disciples said to him, "When will the repose of the dead come about, and when will the new world come?"He said to them, "What you look forward to has already come, but you do not recognize it."
- His disciples said to him, "Twenty-four prophets spoke in Israel, and all of them spoke in you."He said to them, "You have omitted the one living in your presence and have spoken(only) of the dead."
- His disciples said to him, "Is circumcision beneficial or not?"He said to them, "If it were beneficial, their father would beget them already circumcised from their mother. Rather, the true circumcision in spirit has become completely profitable."
- Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor, for yours is the kingdom of heaven."
- Jesus said, "Whoever does not hate his father and his mother cannot become a disciple to me. And whoever does not hate his brothers and sisters and take up his cross in my way will not be worthy of me."
- Jesus said, "Whoever has come to understand the world has found (only) a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
- Jesus said, "The kingdom of the father is like a man who had good seed. His enemy came by night and sowed weeds among the good seed. The man did not allow them to pull up the weeds; he said to them, 'I am afraid that you will go intending to pull up the weeds and pull up the wheat along with them.' For on the day of the harvest the weeds will be plainly visible, and they will be pulled up and burned."
- Jesus said, "Blessed is the man who has suffered and found life."
- Jesus said, "Take heed of the living one while you are alive, lest you die and seek to see him and be unable to do so."
- <They saw> a Samaritan carrying a lamb on his way to Judea. He said to his disciples, "That man is round about the lamb."They said to him, "So that he may kill it and eat it."He said to them, "While it is alive, he will not eat it, but only when he has killed it and it has become a corpse."They said to him, "He cannot do so otherwise."He said to them, "You too, look for a place for yourself within repose, lest you become acorpse and be eaten."
- Jesus said, "Two will rest on a bed: the one will die, and the other will live." Salome said, "Who are you, man, that you ... have come up on my couch and eaten from my table?"Jesus said to her, "I am he who exists from the undivided. I was given some of the things of my father."<...> "I am your disciple."<...> "Therefore I say, if he is destroyed, he will be filled with light, but if he is divided,he will be filled with darkness."
- Jesus said, "It is to those who are worthy of my mysteries that I tell my mysteries. Do not let your left (hand) know what your right (hand) is doing."
- Jesus said, "There was a rich man who had much money. He said, 'I shall put my money to use so that I may sow, reap, plant, and fill my storehouse with produce, withthe result that I shall lack nothing.' Such were his intentions, but that same night he died.Let him who has ears hear."
- Jesus said, "A man had received visitors. And when he had prepared the dinner, he sent his servant to invite the guests.He went to the first one and said to him, 'My master invites you.' He said, 'I have claimsagainst some merchants. They are coming to me this evening. I must go and give them my orders. I ask to be excused from the dinner.'He went to another and said to him, 'My master has invited you.' He said to him, 'I have just bought a house and am required for the day. I shall not have any spare time.'He went to another and said to him, 'My master invites you.' He said to him, 'My friend is going to get married, and I am to prepare the banquet. I shall not be able to come. I ask tobe excused from the dinner.'
«- Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 | View All | Next -»